Contribute knowledge and information to Fossiel.net!
How can I help?
Most Popular Fossil Locations
Gorges du Verdon, France
Shark teeth Oosterzele small 5x
North Yorkshire coast
Photo 1 of 5
Added by: onsmartin on 09-09-2015
Do you have (more) photographs of this location? Please send your photographs using the Fossil Location Photo form!
The folowing sites in north Yorkshire (UK) are worth visitting when collecting fossils. All sites are coastal cliffs.
- Scarborough The best collecting possibilities are at low tide. At the south of South Bay you can find fish remains andremains of turtles in the mudstone.
- Reighton Cap (few fossils) Access to the beach: Go from Reighton to the north. Go to the right in direction Holliday Village of Reighton. From there you can walk to the beach. On the beach the Kimmeridge clay sometimes is exposed. In the clay you can find ammonites.
- Filey To the south of the "Brigg" there is a fossiliferous limestone layer.
- Sandsend (north of Whitby) On the beach shales are exposed. In the shales you can find ammonites and sometimes remains of Ichthyosaurus.
- Robin Hoods Bay At Robin Hoods Bay village you can access the beach. In the exposed shales (at low tide) you can find amminites, crinoids, belemnites, and bivalves.
- Gristhorpe Bay Along road A165 in direction Yon's Nab. You can find gastropods and ammonites. At the north side there is an exposed layer in which you can find plant remains.
- Cayton Bay Accessible via Osgodby along road A165. Walk to the south along the beach. In a sandy limestonelayers you can find ammonites, brachiopods, gastropods and bivalves.
- Speeton Accessible via road B1229. In the clay layers you can find a great variety of fossils. You can find ammonites, belemnites and bivalves. In the red limestone layer you can find ammonites.
- Runswick Bay
- Port Mulgrave Steep path down, but ammonites are common.
- Scalby (Here you can see dinosaur tracks
- Whitby: See seperate location description!
Literature recommended by members
Do you have (more) literature suggestions for this location? Please send your suggestion using the Literature form!
Other locations in the area
Fossil location: Danes Dyke
Fossil location: Hornsea
Fossil location: Mappleton
Fossil location: Saltburn-by-the-Sea
Fossil location: Whitby
Museum: Dorman Museum
Museum: Whitby Museum
Society: Hull Geological Society: University of Hull
Everybody using the fossil collecting location descriptions from this site has to respect the Collecting Code!
Search the Forum to find recent messages about this location.
Do you have additional info or corrections? REPORT